Requirements change for owner-builders

by Victorian Building Authority

The requirements for owner-builder applications have been reformed.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) will now accept construction induction cards issued by interstate regulators as set out in WorkSafe Victoria’s guidance notes.

Previously, the VBA only accepted WorkSafe Victoria-issued white cards.

An owner-builder is someone who takes responsibility for domestic building work on their own land.

VBA inquiries, inspections and complaints director Murray Smith said people applying to be an owner-builder must demonstrate they understand their obligation to provide a safe workplace.

‘‘Completing the owner-builder eLearning assessment on the VBA’s website, and providing a WorkSafe Victoria white card, or interstate equivalent, is the only way for an owner-builder to demonstrate they understand their responsibilities,’’ Mr Smith said.

‘‘The eLearning assessment must be completed before an application for a certificate of consent to become an owner-builder can be submitted.

‘‘Evidence of a white card or interstate equivalent must also be provided at time of application.’’

Under legislative changes introduced last year, an owner-builder in Victoria can only build or renovate one house every five years and must intend to live in it once completed.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to News portal.