Inclusion lists to build your own home kit
Kit home inclusion lists are on every provider web site, but can vary considerably, depending on whether you purchase a kit 'to lockup' or a 'full kit'. On this page I list and explain basic kit home inclusions to each of three stages. Stage three means the entire house and fittings can be
supplied to completely build your own home kit and more importantly, to
be your own contractor.
This list will take the stress and guesswork out of
selecting the correct components for building your own house. Note
that there are always standard ‘exclusions', but you can negotiate to add most of them as well.
Stage one: 'to lockup'
- Multiple sets of council plans & specifications
- A set of construction plans & specifications, including an accessories schedule
- Engineers certification covering all structure aspects of the building including detailed set-out drawings showing all hold down requirements
- Comprehensive construction manual
concrete footing designs and details
- Raised floor system
plans including bearers, joists, sheet flooring, glue and fixings or
concrete slab plans
& associated roof members
- Steel roof battens
& steel ceiling battens
- Gable flashings, ridge capping, valleys, barge capping
- All roof bracings & fixings
- Fascia and gutters
with all brackets, clips & all fixings
- PVC downpipes, including all bends, brackets, adhesive & fixings.
- Sliding windows
sliding glass doors
including standard fly screens
- Cladding to exterior of building, all fixings & flashings
- Soffit sheeting to eaves & verandahs, including all fixings & PVC joiners
- Complete fibreglass roof
- Double sided foil insulation for exterior walls & gable ends
in pre-hung timber frames incl. door locks
Stage two: 'full kit'
pre-hung in jambs with architraves & locks fitted
- Built in bedroom cupboard flat-packs, rails and support systems
- Mouldings: architraves, skirting, eaves
internal linings to ceilings & walls
- All drywall fixings, paper jointing tape, setting compounds & metal corners
- Villaboard internal linings to all wet areas
- Cornice & adhesive.
Stage three: 'extras' and 'completion kits'
- Foundation piers
- Raised floor system
- Kitchen flatpacks
- Kitchen and bathroon plumbing kits
- Electrical kits
- PC items: Stove/oven, dishwasher, sink, toilet, vanity, bath, shower base, towel rails
- Ceiling batts (roof batts are provided in lockup kits)
- Style upgrades such as raked ceilings, raised ceilings, larger windows/sliding doors
- A selection of tools to help construct the kit
- Tiling and brick allowances
- Waterproofing materials/membranes
- Raised ceilings (from 2.4 to 2.7m or raked)
- For high BAL areas: thicker windows etc
- For high wind areas: extra bracing and other engineering upgrades
- Soil tests or contour maps
- Concrete slab & materials
- Wet area floor sealants
- Floorcoverings such as carpets and tiles
- Plumbing, drainage or electrical supplies
- Lights or fans
- Shower screens and mirrors
- Any form of site labour
- Delivery costs (one semi-trailer load, plus a flatbed truck)
Building your own home gets easier when you have nailed the inclusions and exclusions.
was, in my opinion, the most difficult part, but I needn’t have
worried. Kit home suppliers have secure supply lines and guarantee all
components. But to be your own contractor, you must take your time and
get this right.
Kit home delivery
a snap. Just make sure you have good dry access, some wood to keep the
materials off the ground and a few good tarps to keep it dry. The driver
will unload it all with his crane wherever you want it. Have the
manifest handy to check off the components as they hit the ground.
The inclusion components come in 2-3 deliveries, when you need them to build your own home kit.
Delivery 1 (to
lockup) has the floor system, frames, trusses, battens, bracings,
insulation, roofing, fascias, guttering, barges, cladding, windows and
Delivery 2 has all linings, interior doors and internal fittings.
Delivery 3 (only if required) has specified components such as kitchen flat-packs, stove, bathroom components etc.
Return to home building plans or to kithomebasics homepage.